LinkedIn is the largest business-oriented networking website geared specifically towards professionals. It has over 660 million members, in over 200 countries. A professionally written LinkedIn profile allows you to create an online professional brand which can help open doors to opportunities and networks that you may not have been aware of without the help of social media.
LinkedIn gives you the ability to showcase your profile, expertise, recommendations and connections, not only is your profile the first professional impression of you when recruiters and employers use LinkedIn to search for candidates, but it also demonstrates credibility in your industry and highlights your achievements.
The key to effective messaging and presentation of your brand on LinkedIn is to know the space you have to use.
Below are the character limits for 31 of the most important sections of your personal LinkedIn profile.
Please note, while some of these changes can be made from your mobile device, it’s best to use the Desktop experience to make your updates.
Key Sections of Your LinkedIn Profile
- First name: 20 characters.
- Last name: 40 characters.
- Former name: 50 characters.
- Headline: 220 characters.
- Industry: LinkedIn predetermined all industry selections which cannot change.
- About: 2,000 characters.
- Featured: 100 characters per title and 500 characters per description.
- Experience: 100 characters per title and 2,000 characters per title’s description.
- Education: 150 characters per school name.
- Volunteer experience: 100 characters per organization.
- Skills & Endorsements: 80 characters per skill.
- Recommendations: 3,000 characters and spaces.
- Accomplishments: 100 characters per entry.
- Interests: 1,000 characters and spaces.
Contact Info LinkedIn Character Counts
- Public Profile URL: 5 to 30 characters.
- Website URL: 256 characters. You can now display up to three website links in your profile.
- Website anchor text: 30 characters. An anchor text describes your actual website type if not already provided by LinkedIn.
- Phone number: 25 characters.
- Home or business address: 1,000 characters. Note, this isn’t always necessary to include.
- Instant Messenger Accounts: 25 characters.
Status Update LinkedIn Character Counts
- Post: 700 characters.
- Post comment: 1,250 characters.
LinkedIn InMail Messaging Character Counts
- InMail subject line: 200 characters.
- InMail body copy: 1,900 characters.
Invitation Character Counts
- Invitation to connect: 300.
LinkedIn Group Posts LinkedIn Character Counts
- Groups body copy: 1,300.
- Groups comments: 1,250.
Article (Pulse, LinkedIn Publishing Platform) Posts
- Article title: 100.
- Article copy: 40,000.
- Article comment: 1,250.
- Article photo credit: 250.
Rick Christensen: Director, Career Transition Practice
Rick has been a career consultant for almost 30 years, serving a very broad-based and diverse clientele. His specialties include effective group facilitation, one-on-one coaching and consultation at all levels including senior executives.
Rick’s passion is coaching individuals through career transitions, developing career management strategies and in identifying and sharpening competencies to open doors to new opportunities. His efforts have assisted thousands of individuals achieve their full potential.
Contact Rick at: Rick@CareerDevelopmentPartners.com