Starting March 22, 2021, newly hired student employees will be auto-enrolled in Student Employee Orientation through Canvas. Given the often-hectic and varied schedule of our student employees, we designed a course suited to their needs. They can take this training anytime, anywhere. This course is highly interactive with short videos, readings, and reflection questions. It takes 1 hour to 1.5 hours to complete in total.
We can now provide consistent framing, structure, and procedures for all student employees.
Topics covered in Student Employee Orientation:
- University Structure and Student Employees in the Campus Experience
- Rights & Responsibilities
- DU Values
- Professional Development & Career Skills
- Student Employees Achieve Training Series
- Policies & Procedures
- Hours & Time Training (PioneerTime)
- Money Matters (Payroll & Taxes)
- Required Paperwork (I9s and more)
- Important Partners like Equal Opportunity & Title IX, Human Resources, & Financial Aid
What’s in it for you:
- Saved time.
- Consistent information for your student employees.
- You can focus your energy on area-specific training for your department.
- Did we mention saved time? You no longer need to create this information or keep it up to date in training materials. We got you.
Action items for you:
- Include Student Employee Orientation in Canvas in your student employee on-boarding training plan (get an example training plan from the Office of Student Employment).
- If your newly hired student employee does not see the course on their Canvas dashboard within 48 hours of their hire, contact email@example.com.
- Check-in with your Student Employee to ensure the course is completed.
- Would you like to check out this course for yourself? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy orienting to you and your student employees!